Connect Special Interest Groups (SIGs) serve an important role for HP customers in their desire to learn more about the products and technologies they use in their workplace. SIGs are a means by which business issues or problems can be discussed and resolved by peers from a variety of organizations.
Connect offers the following Special Interest Groups (SIGs) for current members:
View comprehensive guidelines for Connect SIGs.
Forming a New Connect SIG
If a Connect member, staff member, or Board member identifies the need for the formation of a new SIG, a proposal must be submitted to the SIG Director. The proposal should include the following critical success factors:
1. DEFINITION OF A SIG
A Connect Special Interest Group (SIG) is a group of Connect members who have a particular interest in some technology, product area, business practice or service/solution, all within the context of using or affecting offerings from HP and its Partners.
2. AFFILIATION with Connect
Connect makes these SIGs open to any current Connect member.
Connect SIGs provide forums which promote the goals and mission of Connect; SIGs promote the interchange of IT information among its members.
4. SIG GUIDELINES
• A SIG may be created if
• a petition of interested members is submitted with more than 7 individuals requesting the iformation of that SIG
• there is an appropriate HP Liaison for that SIG
• Statement of Purpose
Each SIG should establish a statement of purpose that parallels the Connect mission statement.
• Leadership Structure
SIG’s affiliated with Connect are required to have a leadership structure. The purpose of this
structure is to allow both Connect and the SIG to have a formal contact point when questions or
concerns arise and to allow for groups to track their membership and goals. (See Item 7)
Membership in the SIG is open to any current Connect member.
• Administrative Support
Connect Headquarters Staff provide administrative support to the SIG in the following areas:
• Act as a liaison between the SIG’s Leadership and Connect Headquarters
• Provide a forum for the SIG Leadership to hold teleconference calls
• Administer activities, education and product updates related to the SIG (i.e., conference sessions, teleconference, Web casts, etc.)
• Assist the SIG Leadership in preparing for the annual meeting of the SIG members
• Provide the SIG with a Web site discussion forum
• Administer the SIG communications forum(s)
• Maintain the SIG membership database
• Maintain the SIG Web page on the Connect site
• SIG Maintenance
A SIG may be discontinued:
• if the membership drops below the minimum required 7 members for more than 6 month
• if the SIG fails to follow all of the standards and guidelines as outlined by Connect
• if the SIG no longer serves the needs and goals of the organization as determined by the Connect Board of Directors
• Fails to demonstrate that it is active over a 1 year period
5. SIG MEMBER SERVICES PROVIDED
The SIG, with the support of the Connect Board of Directors, may choose to move forward with some of the following suggested programs:
• Provide a technical lead in forming the development of their special focus
• Work with HP on future product and service direction
• Give input into the Connect advocacy program
• Maintain an active presence on the Connect Community web site for SIG members that can be used for free discussion of issues, sharing current product information, updates, links to related sites, action items - minutes of the Leadership calls, an electronic newsletter, etc
• Provide periodic surveys of members and publish results
• Provide support to Connect in the direction of desired presentations and tracks for its educational programs and seminars
• Provide a liaison to appropriate sister organizations
• Provide an open forum for discussion at Connect events
6. SIG GOVERNANCE
The SIG annual business meetings are held at least annually at a major Connect event and will include the approval of Leadership/Officer election slates. Governance rules are also be reviewed/approved at each annual meeting as needed.
The Connect Director of SIGS and Connect HQ team are here to support your SIG launch. Please do not hesitate to contact Connect HQ at email@example.com with any further questions you may have.
If you are interested in creating a new Connect SIG, please complete the SIG Interest Form.