||HPE NonStop||HP-UX Connect
||Software-Defined & Cloud||Mission Critical x86||HPE Storage
Are you guilty of this common Disaster Recovery mistake?Without consistent testing and optimization, disaster recovery remains a technological hypothesis. Remember Disaster Recovery plans are living documents..
How to squeeze data insights from your SMBThere are several ways SMBs capture, store, and use the data around them. Here’s how to navigate around the gotchas in implementing data analytics.
Caution: 6 signs of a Business Continuity plan in troubleCalling something a “plan” doesn’t make it one. Real planning should go into its creation – not simply filling in blanks in a template, or copying a bunch of lists to an appendix.
Know the difference
Who said only one technology could sit on the IT throne?The possibilities are endless, as long as integration is simple. Learn how to quickly scale the data center and rule the world to suit IT teams needs.
numerous flavors of virtualization to choose from- and a lot going on
in the world of virtualization check out and follow the roadmap to
WHITE PAPER: Hybrid IT helps businesses navigate through digital transformationSavvy businesses realize hybrid IT, which includes both off premises and on-premises services, enables better agility. As businesses move toward digital transformation, they must carefully consider locality of their compute and their unique right mix.
6 warning signs your business might not survive a disasterHow confident are you in your business preparation? Test your organization against these six warning signs it might be at risk.
Find out more
Fog computing improves application availabilityFog computing, aka edge computing, is a decentralized computing architecture in which applications and the data they process are distributed in the most efficient places between the data source and the cloud. Fog computing extends cloud services to the edge of the network via “cloudlets,” thereby bringing the advantages of the cloud closer to where the data is created. Should the cloud fail, applications that normally would be taken down can continue via the cloudlets with little impediment.
Now excepting applications through September 28, 2017. This is
your opportunity to lead the Hewlett Packard Enterprise community,
partners, and customers into the future.
OVER 70,000 HPE ENTERPRISE PRODUCTS & SOLUTIONS USERS EVERY MONTH!
Do you have a customer success story, news, upcoming event or webinar? Share it with the community here.
Small & Midsize Business News
How to squeeze data insights from your SMB
Teaser: Small and midsize businesses sometimes believe that big data only applies to enterprise-size companies. However, when smaller businesses use the oceans of data around them, they can improve in almost every way.
Improve Disaster Recovery Capabilities with Flash Storage
Teaser: By implementing flash storage, organizations are two times more likely to see faster times to backup and recovery.
Find out more in the Aberdeen White Paper.
Flash Storage Speeds the Path to Hybrid IT for SMBs- Knowledge Brief
Enhancing Security and Performance with HPE ProLiant Gen10 Solutions
In an economy where IT modernization drives performance and cyber crime poses a major threat to a variety of data types, organizations are seeking innovative technologies to increase productivity and safeguard business-critical information. Today’s small and midsize organizations need a hybrid IT environment that provides the constant availability and performance of the cloud with the security of on-premises technology down to the hardware level.
Choosing the right networking solution can be confusing.
Aruba makes it easy. Check out the Networking Product Wizard for small and midsize businesses and design your network in 2 minutes.
HPE NonStop News
EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION IS OPEN!
Register for $1,295 Until October 20th.
HPE NonStop Education Courses offered before the 2017 NonStop TBC.
Fast Track Concepts and Facilities for HPE NonStop Systems
(2 day course!)
Securing HPE NonStop Servers using IPSec
Securing HPE NonStop using IP Tables (CLIM)
Information and Registration
Connect NonStop Community Celebration
Sponsored by OmniPayments
OmniPayments is proud to be the exclusive sponsor of NonStop TBC 2017’s closing reception on Tuesday, November 14th. At a wine party like no other, competing attendee teams will mix high-end wines to concoct the perfect blend. Blind tasting will determine a winner, which will be bottled for pick-up at the Registration Desk on Wednesday along with a complimentary wine sleeve for safe travels. All this from OmniPayments, a Boot Camp Diamond Sponsor and the creator of a Payments Switch proven in production processing 1 billion transactions per month. Available as a standalone switch or in the cloud as OmniCloudX on HPE NonStop X.
Don’t miss HPE Executive Keynotes from Randy Meyer, Andy Bergholz, and Raphael Davison, Worldwide Director of Blockchain. Learn more about the "The Secrets of Managing IT Teams" from Marty Edelman, the former Director of IT at Home Depot.
Check out the keynote presentations here.
In August, Gravic published a new white paper, Shadowbase Synchronous Replication – Product Overview. Shadowbase synchronous replication (Shadowbase Zero Data Loss, or Shadowbase ZDL) resolves two key issues of asynchronous replication: data loss on source system failure and data collisions when running an active/active environment. By eliminating data loss and effectively setting the Recovery Point Objective, or RPO, to zero, Shadowbase ZDL protects your valuable data from having to be recreated after catastrophic failure. It removes the risk of loss and uncertainty of the status of your data after a failover/takeover, and provides unique differentiating product capabilities for the HPE NonStop market. Shadowbase ZDL is the only choice for business critical applications where even milliseconds of lost data or downtime is unacceptable.
comForte Security Memo – Fix two of the top 5 attack vectors on your NonStop right now at no cost
Over the past years, comForte has conducted a large number of interviews, security workshops, and detailed security reviews with HPE NonStop customers across a broad range of industries including financial, healthcare, insurance, and manufacturing.
Analysis of the data from security workshops & reviews that were performed at NonStop sites over the past 5 years revealed two frequently used attack vectors, which can be addressed on your NonStop system very easily and at no cost for your company.
Register for NuWave's Upcoming Webinar: "NonStop Applications Using REST Services: Real World Demonstrations Including Google Integration!"
Are you looking for ways to get the most out of your NonStop and integrate with modern technologies and devices using RESTful services? Our next webinar, "NonStop Applications Using REST Services: Real World Demonstrations Including Google Integration!", can show you how to do just that.
Learn more about this webinar and register for one of our three time slots here.
OmniPayments CEO Yash Kapadia is Keynote Speaker at CTUG 2017
Yash Kapadia migrated his entire payments systems from HPE NonStop Itanium into OmniCloudX on NonStop X. That and Yash’s extensive experience with customer migrations make him the perfect keynote speaker for CTUG 2017 (October 11-12, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada). Migration efforts can be intimidating, yet Yash’s migrations to NonStop X have been virtually painless. Here is your opportunity to hear Yash offer the lowdown on Migrate to NonStop X – No Fuss, No Muss, No Sweat!
Register today! DUST Chapter Meeting - Desert Users of Tandem
'NonStop is relevant to modern API's'
Information: Event Listing
Identify AND Protect Your Sensitive Data with TANDsoft’s Sensitive Data Intercept (SDI)
TANDsoft’s Sensitive Data Intercept (SDI) seamlessly intercepts HPE NonStop database access calls, then works with both HPE and 3rd party security solutions to protect sensitive data via encryption/tokenization algorithms. Companies also can purchase SDI strictly for the purpose of auditing/logging. Use SDI to identify who is accessing sensitive data, the times of access, and what data being accessed. Without SDI, auditing/logging is often manual, labor-intensive, and particularly challenging when companies must work with auditors for the purpose of regulatory compliance. No application modifications required.
Save the Date!
PCI-DSS 3.2 is only months away. I thought now would be as good of a time as any to revisit the article below highlighting the upcoming changes. The two most impactful changes to NonStop customers will be Multi-factor authentication (MFA) now required for all non-console administrative access to the card data environment as well as discontinuing usage of pre TLS 1.1 protocols. MFA becomes a requirement in February 2018 and TLS 1.1+ becomes mandatory in June 2018. In the next issue of The Connection Magazine, we will go in depth with how to address PCI-DSS 3.2 on the HPE NonStop, but in the meantime, the article below summarizes the changes that NonStop users should be aware of.
Registration Now Open for the MATUG Fall Users Meeting
Please register via EventBrite for the Mid-Atlantic Tandem User Group (MATUG) meeting scheduled for 8am-5pm on Friday, October 13, 2017 at the Marriott Courtyard BWI Airport Hotel near Baltimore, MD, USA. (Click https://eventbrite.com/event/16902004350/ for more information.) Expect HPE presentations on the NonStop HW/SW product roadmap and the new partnership with Blockchain, as well as several informative vendor presentations.
Software-Defined & Cloud
This month I have added two more articles in the Public Cloud series I provided last month. The public cloud is starting to receive some mixed reviews and IT is starting to discover that as good as the Public Cloud is you need to be careful where you are placing your workload. I see this future as a hybrid world where IT is creating the right mix of cloud and traditional IT. I would be interested in receiving your feedback on what you think.
Also I added in two articles on Hyperconverged as this continues to be the fastest growing segment in the datacenter.
Mission Critical x86 News
Deutsches Zentrum für Neurodegenerative Erkrankungen (DZNE) - Customer Story
As world populations age, the human and economic toll of currently incurable neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s grows staggering. DZNE fights these diseases using Big Data analytics, but the limitations of traditional computer systems have been a major bottleneck. Seeking a breakthrough solution, DZNE discovered HPE’s Memory Driven Computing—and saw unprecedented computational speed improvements that hold new promise in the race against Alzheimer’s disease. Click the following links to learn how DZNE is using Superdome X to help find a cure for these diseases.
- Read the customer story
- Read the customer slides
- View the video: Accelerating Alzheimer’s Research – DZNE & Hewlett Packard Enterprise
AKU&H modernizes hospital information system with HPE Integrity Superdome X – Customer Story
Read this case study to learn how Aga Khan University and Hospitals achieved cost-effective scalability and reliability for mission-critical hospital information system (HIS) supporting five hospitals across Pakistan. They modernized their infrastructure with HPE Superdome X and support from HPE Pointnext resulting in:
- Reliability and availability up to 99.99% for critical HIS services supporting patient care
- Lower database licensing costs as they increased performance without increasing the number of processor cores, and,
- Enough capacity and flexibility to handle additional hospital workloads as they continue to expand
Empower with SAP HANA
- Visit the recently refreshed Empower the real-time enterprise with SAP HANA website to learn how HPE is helping customers transition smoothly and quickly to SAP HANA so they can realize the promise of performing business processing and analytics in real time. Help ensure your successful migration to a real-time enterprise by working with a partner that has proven to deliver all that SAP HANA offers.
- Watch this video where HPE CEO, Meg Whitman, talks about how she leverages SAP throughout HPE’s business to Run Live in an extremely dynamic industry that is harnessing the explosion of big data for their innovation engine. HPE is using the S/4 HANA environment and HPE´s infrastructure to optimize their supply chain and make decisions live in the moment, while serving their customers better.
- Read this recently published blog about The Importance of Business Continuity in Your SAP HANA Environment and understand how HPE´s business continuity and disaster recovery solution Serviceguard for Linux, protects your valuable data and applications from every day threats.
HPE Storage News
News from Around the Storage Block – from HPEStorageGuy Calvin Zito
- In case you didn’t see my article about VMworld in the Fall Connect Converge, here it is on my blog. It’s loaded with over 10 hours of videos and podcasts that you can binge watch since Game of Thrones is over!
- Have 3PAR? Read about the new Data Reduction Guarantee in We’ve Got Nothing to Hide with the HPE 3PAR Data Reduction Guarantee.
- At Discover, I love catching up with what is going on in Hewlett Packard Labs. I have two demos looking at the Machine 40-node prototype and optical computing research – so check out my post Catching up with Hewlett Packard Labs Research.
- Simple vs Flexible - Where Nimble Storage Fits in HPE Storage is one of my favorite posts in recent memory. It gave me the chance to look back on some storage history and talk about where Nimble fits, a question I hear a lot.
- To subscribe to my podcast, open this link and click on the "View in iTunes" button under my picture. If you don't use iTunes, you can find my podcast on TalkShoe.com and it has just been added to Google Play Music as well.
Podcast info for you:
- #228 – Containers with Nimble and HPE Storage. At Discover, at sat down with experts from HPE and Nimble Storage to talk about the storage requirements for containers and considerations for DevOps who need persistent storage for cloud native applications.
- #229 – Preponed with Rick Vanover from Veeam. I caught up with Rick Vanover from Veeam Software at VMworld and got an update on the latest as well as learned a new word, preponed.
- #330 – VMware vVols session from VMworld. My vExpert colleague at HPE (and my go to guy for my VMware questions) Eric Siebert hosted a session at VMworld diving deep into VMware vVols. This is the audio from Eric's session.
Calvin Zito is a 33 year veteran in the IT industry and has worked in storage for 25 years. He’s been a VMware vExpert for 6 years. As an early adopter of social media and active in communities, he has blogged for 8 years. You can find his blog at hpe.com/storage/blog
He started his “social persona” as HPStorageGuy, and after the HP separation manages an active community of storage fans on Twitter as @CalvinZito
You can also contact him via email at firstname.lastname@example.org